Major Update 456.38 GeForce Driver: Ampere Support, Fortnite RTX, Reflex, Broadcast, Death Of SLI And More
NVIDIA, together with the launch of sales of the GeForce RTX 3080 video card, has also released a fresh version of the GeForce Game Ready 456.38 WHQL driver. In addition to supporting the new Ampere RTX 3080 and RTX 3090 accelerators, it brings a ton of features and improvements, including for older graphics cards.
Let’s list some of them in a list:
- Fortnite now supports ray tracing and NVIDIA DLSS on all GeForce RTX GPUs.
- Fortnite and Valorant added support for NVIDIA Reflex technology, which reduces latency on video cards, starting with the GeForce GTX 900 series;
- the driver brings optimizations for new Halo 3: ODST and Mafia: Definitive Edition games as part of the Game Ready program;
- GeForce Experience brings new in-game performance monitoring metrics for graphics cards starting with the GeForce GTX 600 series;
- GeForce Experience offers a new automatic performance tuning feature for the GeForce RTX 30 and GeForce RTX 20 desktop series, instantly boosting frame rates;
- GeForce Experience’s ShadowPlay gameplay recording technology has received support for HDR capture on GeForce GTX 900 and higher series graphics cards, and on the GeForce RTX 3090 users can shoot video at up to 8K 30fps with active HDR;
- 5 new gaming monitors are G-Sync Compatible certified to sync frame rates to display on GeForce GTX 10, GeForce GTX 16, and GeForce RTX
- The new NVIDIA Broadcast app allows all GeForce RTX users to enhance their broadcasts with background noise removal and voice enhancement or AI-based video background removal;
- AV1 hardware decoding allows users of GeForce RTX 30 graphics cards to enjoy videos and broadcasts that use up to 50% less traffic;
- 13 new GeForce Experience Optimal Gaming Profiles let you optimize settings with one click in the latest games, starting with GeForce GTX 600 series graphics cards.As a reminder, NVIDIA Reflex technology is a collection of hardware and software technologies such as drivers, G-Sync, and in-game optimizations designed to minimize latency between input and game response. This is extremely important for esports, where accuracy and instant response to enemy actions are required. In Fortnite and Valorant, latencies can be reduced by up to 33%, according to NVIDIA. NVIDIA Reflex support is also promised in Apex Legends, Call of Duty: Warzone, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. With the advent of the corresponding displays, it will even be possible to monitor the level of lag in games using the metrics overlay function.
To activate hardware decoding AV1 on GeForce RTX 30 video cards, in addition to installing the driver, you need to do the following:
- install the free Microsoft AV1 Video Extension from the Windows 10 Store ;
- use a compatible browser like Google Chrome 85;
- open AV1 content that can be easily found on YouTube ( example in 8K HDR ) – by the way, on the YouTube playback settings page, you can activate the option “Always prefer AV1”.
Hardware decoding support for AV1 is also expected to arrive on Twitch and VideoLAN’s VLC player soon.
The following Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) monitors are G-Sync certified:
- Acer XV253Q GW (HDR, 24.5 “, IPS, 1920 × 1080, 50-240 Hz);
- ASUS VG27AQ1A (HDR, 27 “, IPS, 2560 × 1440, 50-144 Hz);
- LG 27GN800 (HDR, 27 “, IPS, 2560 × 1440, 48-144 Hz);
- LG 27GN600 (HDR, 27 “, IPS, 2560 × 1440, 60-144 Hz);
- ViewSonic XG270Q (HDR, 27 “, IPS, 2560 × 1440, 50-165 Hz).
A complete list of supported displays is given on the official NVIDIA website and includes many dozen models.
Here is a list of 13 games that have received profiles for optimal gaming settings in GeForce Experience:
- Among Us;
- Crusader Kings III;
- eFootball PES 2021;
- Gunfire Reborn;
- Iron Harvest ;
- Madden NFL 21;
- Marvel’s Avengers;
- Microsoft Flight Simulator ;
- Mortal Shell ;
- Skater XL;
- Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1 + 2 ;
- Wasteland 3.
In the depths of the driver changelog, there is a small comment that GeForce RTX 30 Ampere accelerators do not support SLI mode – only the operation of several accelerators in conjunction with modern APIs like DirectX 12 and Vulkan. NVIDIA has already limited the NVLink interface only to its flagship RTX 3090, so we are essentially talking about the death of SLI – the company, by the way, confirmed the withdrawal of technology support starting from the new year. From now on, this task will be entrusted to game developers, if, of course, they want to implement it in their projects.
In addition, many different bugs have been fixed in the driver, and NVIDIA engineers continue to fix some known issues. GeForce Game Ready 456.38 WHQL is dated September 17th and can be downloaded in 64-bit versions of Windows 7 and Windows 10 from NVIDIA’s website or through the GeForce Experience app.